Welcome to the Dobbs Ferry Public Library’s 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program! By participating in this initiative, you’re helping your child develop early literacy skills. 1,000 books may feel like a lot, but over the course of 5 years, you can read as much as 1,825 books if you read one book every day! For this program, you can choose to read at whatever pace you’re most comfortable with. Whether you read with your child, your child reads a book on their own, or you attend a storytime at the library where you listen to the librarian read, every book counts. Even if it’s just the same book over and over!
Who is eligible for this challenge?
- Any child who hasn’t started kindergarten yet is eligible to participate. Each eligible child in your family will have their own logs and their own prizes.
How does the challenge work?
- First, you sign up by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or stopping by the children’s room to speak to Ms. Gina, who will give you a folder with everything you need.
- To keep track of your reading, you’ll use reading logs. You don’t need to include the names of the books that you’ve read: we know you’re busy, so you can just check off the amount (but if you’d like to share the titles with us, we’d love to hear them!). You can log the same book as many times as you want.
- The folder Ms. Gina gives you includes a reading log to get you started. You can print more at this link: 1000 Books Challenge Reading Log
- You can also use the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten app to track your books. Search for it on Google Play or the Apple Store!
- Every 250 books you read, your child will earn prizes that you can pick up at the library.
- After 250 books, your child will receive a packet of stickers.
- After 500 books, your child will receive a rubber duck.
- After 750 books, your child will receive an animal-themed mini stationary set.
- After 1000 books, your child will get a certificate and a book to take home for keeps!
What books should we read together?
Anything you like! It can be the same book over and over or a new one every time. To help get you started, here are suggested reading lists for every age:
Are there any library programs for kids under 5?
Yes! You can check out our full calendar of events here, but you can depend on the following every week:
- Mondays at 10:30am: Baby Songs & Stories. Join children’s librarian Gina to learn songs, fingerplays, and more that you can do with your baby. For ages 0 to 24 months.
- Tuesdays at 10:30am: Toddler Stretch & Sing. Get your wiggles out with songs and stories with Ms. Gina! For ages 18 to 36 months.
You’re welcome to join either (or both) days even if you child doesn’t quite fit within the age range. Registration is not required but if you email email@example.com, Ms. Gina will be able to notify you if there are any changes or cancellations during a particular week.
I have a question and/or need help!
Stop by the children’s room to talk to Ms. Gina, call (914) 693-6615, or email childrens@dobbsferrylibrary.